Missouri Rural Electric Cooperative
Member Owned Since 1936
Missouri Rural Electric Cooperative is a non-profit electric cooperative owned by the consumer members we serve. Headquartered in Palmyra, Missouri, the cooperative service territory covers approximately 1100 square miles of Lewis, Marion, Monroe, Ralls, and Shelby County’s in Northeast Missouri.
Since being incorporated on June 16, 1936, the Cooperative’s goal has been to improve its members’ standard of living by providing a reliable supply of electricity at the lowest possible cost.
The first 155 miles of line, were made possible by Loan funds from the Rural Electrification Administration. Those funds were approved on September 23, 1936, with construction beginning January 1937. By the end of the first year, 271 members had service to their home with an average usage of 44 kilowatts per month. Today Missouri Rural Electric Cooperative maintains 1100 miles of line serving approximately 5000 Commercial and Residential meters. Our members average kilowatt usage has grown to 1100 kilowatts per month.
How power is restored